Cheshire Cat 2013

Start/finish at the Cat

Cat notes:

1)  In my start group - quick, medium course people - there seemed to be a lot of cyclists pootling along.  I guess they were just aiming to complete the course?  

2)  If you find yourself in a slow group just overtake at the pace you want to go and you'll find others will jump on your wheel and take turns.

3)  First bit of the Cat is a flat run to the hills so blast along to gain time.

4)  Mow Cop - take it slow to start with and save it all for the last bit which is very steep - and you'll have plenty of people looking/cheering you on so its worth not walking up.

5)  3 more tough hills follow in quick succession and the accumulation of climbing really starts to tell.

6)  The second half is flat (not even rolling) countryside so its back to forming up chain gangs and taking turns.

Personal note - I set an under 6 hour time for the 120km course, and then went as hard as I could on all the flat bits (at least 60% of the course).  Pretty soon I realized I was on for a much better time so kept at it and eventually came in with 4 hours 46 min - Silver standard - so really pleased, an example of exceeding expectations and doing much more than you ever thought you could do. 

Checking out the results - I came 45th out of 666 and was just 37mins behind the fastest (4hr 8mins).

Cheshire Cat 2013 at Garmin Connect