The Autumn Epic

Sun 27th Sept Update - plenty of people signing up for this ride - go to here for more info and to tell us you're coming.


Anyone up for doing this classic sportive as an unsupported ride?  It's not officially happening this year and I think there'll be plenty of people who are disappointed - I always look forward to it.

Here's the route - http://ridewithgps.com/trips/5944267

And here's the current Facebook page - if you want to help keep this classic event from dying show your interest.

I wrote a report about the route from my 2011 experience:

I think the Autumn Epic is a classic event - just the right mix of tough, long hills then good stretches in between to help you recover. By 100km+ it feels like most people are just hanging on for the finish. Friendly event with chats along the way. Motocycle outriders are a nice touch - I punctured and one stopped to see if I was OK - nice when you're out on a welsh mountain by yourself. The hot food at the end didn't happen this year but the organisers have subsequently explained/apologised. I've already marked the date for next year.

The Hills:

First one after 20km - steep early on, an intro to what is coming

Second one - I think about 45km (Abbey something) - long, not too steep.

Then you get to Rhayader, food stop and then up the long, long hill towards the Elan valley. This hill has some steepish bits early on, has spectacular scenery and just goes on and on and on. Surprised people even notice the beauty of the Elan valley I'm usually cream crackered by then!

After that you roll along over some lumpy bits - probably nothing really but your legs are shot so every rise seems a challenge.

And then you get a big hill before the 2nd food stop and then:

Glascym is the killer hill. But if you zig-zag up it's much easier - my Garmin showed 13% gradient as I zig-zadded up it - easier than going straight up at 25%!

Good long ride after that with further rises causing you pain and then a final last climb - not very steep but longish, and then you fall into Knighton and finish.

It's an Epic.