Interval Training

Recently I've noticed how my hill climbing is limited by my heart and lung capacity - it used to be limited by leg strength but all the hill climbing I've done this year has really improved that.

Anyway, climbing a long hill last week - I started well - but ran out of puff towards the end.  Legs were fine - they just weren't receiving enough fuel and went to jelly before the top.

I resolved to do some interval training to improve this deficiency.

Plan - do a couple of short intervals - very intense - that work me up into that same state of oxygen debt and leg weakness - during a short bike ride, once a week.

First session was tonight:
  1. 15 min warm up
  2. First interval - 2min 46sec/1.57km
  3. 12 min recovery riding
  4. Second interval - 2min 36sec/1.71km
  5. 10min ride home/warm down
Analysis - went well - managed to really push myself into a difficult place!  Time will tell if its worked - I have had difficulty in the past with interval training sending me into over-training very easily...

Baseline - about 2 weeks ago I managed a good hill climb and recorded my best ever performance - 8 min and 20 sec.  I'm going to do 3 weeks of intervals and then lets see if I can improve on that?

If all goes well I'll be blasting up hills on my favourite end of season sportive - the Autumn Epic.