More Flexible Targeted Training #6

Often changing around your workout using just one week doesn't give you enough flexibility.

With my previous example I was planning to do 140km per week.  But if one weekend I'm going away for the whole of Friday,Saturday and Sunday with no opportunity to train then there's no way I can compensate within that one week.

If I look at a fortnight I've got a better chance.

Being away for a weekend means I loose 70km but if I put in an extra 35 before I go away, and another after I come back then at least I've got the distance target sorted.

Or, if I can find the time, get the 70km done as a mid-week special.  That may mean putting in place one-off preparations - leave work early, make sure lights are working because the end of the ride will be in darkness and prepare the family for your unusually long evening absence.

Flexibility means you can cope with unavoidable events and you can be imaginative about compensating for them.

It also means you can take advantage of opportunities.  Late starts, days off or Bank Holidays can be capitalised on. (6 of 7)

Lastly, some observations on progression.  (7 of 7)