Flexible Targeted Training #5

Don't go straight to the days and the weeks when planning.  Instead, think about what you want to achieve.

I'll use an example from my current training: I want to improve my 100km performance - I want to be able to reel off 100km with ease. 

What's going to help me do that?  I think doing long training sessions - 70km rides - will help me with this target.  And to help me do those sessions I think a couple of 35km workouts each week will help.

So that's it.  I now have a plan.  I'll do a 70km, and then a couple of 35s each week.

But notice I haven't assigned particular days to these workouts - instead I'm going to look at each week individually and see where I can fit in these workouts.  Family commitments, days off, travel, Bank Holidays can now all be accommodated, or even taken advantage of. 

And I can track my progress simply - I'm looking at a total km of 140km a week - when and how I do it is entirely freeform.