Preparing for the Magnificat

On Sunday I am set to do the UCI Magnificat out of Newbury.  I've plumped for the 200km "epic" course and I want to show here how I'll prepare for it.

For me 200km is a long way.  And the course closes at 5pm so no chance to just take it easy and pedal it in. 

What's going to help me?
  1. Know the challenge
  2. Prepare the bike and rider
  3. Taper towards the event
1)  Know the challenge

200km and 1,300 meters of climbing.  The Epic riders have to start before 8am (its a rule) but there is no mention of cut-offs around the route (most Italian events will have a gate to stop slow people going on the long route). 

But there is a suggested 5pm deadline.  So that makes 9 hours to do 200km = 22.5kph average - sounds doable but the course is hilly - not a flat bit anywhere:
Profile from www.bikeroutetoaster.com
Comments on blogs/forums confirm the challenge of the course is this rolling profile.
 
Plan - don't go too hard up the first two tall bits as you're going to need your climbing legs all the way through!  Just in case things go well - Gold standard for the Epic is anything under 8hrs
 
2)  Prepare the bike and rider - bike is set up from last Sunday's Cheshire Cat.  The real preparation is for the rider - weather is going to be hot so suncream and an extra water bottle is required - I plan to take 2 large bottles on the bike and then a 3rd in a back pocket so I can drink as much as I like without ever running out.  This kind of distance is going to be done on food and drink - run out of either and you will fail.
 
3)  Taper - I've done 150km of riding so far this week, and could easily do a bit more today and Saturday - but I won't.  I'm storing up the energy and fully recovering from the training so I'll be super-ready for Sunday.
 
That's it.  Wish me luck!